The Shirley Bern Lewis Memorial Scholarship Essay Contest
Presented by The SELF Movement in Collaboration with The College Life Coach
In honor of my great-aunt, who in life gave me the inspiration to help others and to be a free spirit, and who in passing gave me the means to pay it forward. – Bernadette Gambino, The College Life Coach
First Prize: $1,000 Tuition Assistance & Opportunity to Serve on TSM’s Youth Advisory Board
Second Prize: Four (4) Scheduled Sessions with The College Life Coach
Third Prize: $50 iTunes Gift Card
Enter Now! Deadline: March 20, 2013
Send all of the following as a single email to email@example.com or as a letter addressed to The SELF Movement, 9035 Hampton Landing Drive East, Jacksonville, FL 32256:
1. A typed (size 12 font, double-spaced, 300-500 word) essay as a Word Document:
The topic of the essay is the impact volunteering has made in your life. You must include one specific volunteer activity in which you have participated, but you may discuss others. Your essay should be a reflection on the experience of volunteering, as well as the importance of giving back to one’s community.
2. An official copy of your transcript OR signed statement from a school counselor that you are enrolled at a high school, college, or trade school in Northeast Florida.
3. A copy of evidence of your participation in the volunteer experience about which you are writing.
A signed agreement by the student (and a legal parent/guardian if under 18) will be required of the first prize winner before the monetary reward is disbursed. Please download and review the Fund Disbursement Agreement in advance of submitting your essay. Only the student submitting the winning essay will need to sign this document at the conclusion of the contest.
Any entry not adhering to the rules will not be read!
- Demonstration of Reflection on Impact of Volunteer Experience (60%)
- Use of Language – Correctness & Eloquence (40%)